Man charged for carrying explosives into Stony Brook University Hospital

The outside of Stony Brook University Hospital. On Tuesday, June 9, the Suffolk Country Police Department received reports of a suspicious package outside of the hospital. EMMA HARRIS/STATESMAN FILE

The Suffolk County Police Department charged a man with multiple counts of criminal possession after he carried explosive devices into Stony Brook University Hospital on Tuesday night, according to a June 10 press release.

Responding bomb and canine unit officers confirmed that the man, 33-year-old Robert Roden, was carrying three explosive devices in his backpack when he was taken into custody on Tuesday night. Other reports from university police indicate that Roden was also carrying what appeared to be a BB gun.

Stony Brook University police took Roden into custody after a hospital security guard called to report a suspicious individual wearing a tactical vest around 9 p.m. on Tuesday.

Multiple campus alerts were sent out, warning people to avoid Levels 4 and 5 of the hospital, and the hospital roadway. Two floors were evacuated, and the emergency room was temporarily closed, reopening around 1:30 a.m. Nobody was injured.

A police search of Roden’s home in Mastic Beach on Wednesday, June 10 found multiple other explosive devices, which are now being evaluated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.