A simple and delightful dairy-free banana bread recipe

A stock image of fresh homemade banana bread on a table. This recipe will set you up for success in the kitchen. FOMAA – STOCK.ADOBE.COM

There’s nothing quite like a freshly baked loaf of banana bread. The sweet, nutty aroma wafting through the air combined with a toothsome chew of pillowy softness is divine. For those with dietary restrictions, this one-bowl recipe is perfect, as the ingredients can be substituted without compromising flavor. 

If you prefer a sweeter, more indulgent loaf, throw in your favorite chocolate chips. If you wish to elevate the nuttiness, replace the vegetable oil with an equal amount of brown butter and mix in chopped walnuts. Looking for an extra burst of flavor? Add a shot of espresso or instant coffee to dazzle your tastebuds. 

No matter how intricate you choose to make this recipe, there are several ways to set yourself up for success. First, using extremely ripe, brown bananas will ensure a smooth and sweeter batter. As bananas ripen, their starches break down into sugars, enhancing both flavor and texture. Avoid using bright yellow bananas, as they contain high levels of starch, leading to a rubbery and flavorless loaf. 

Second, before adding flour into the batter, the other ingredients must be thoroughly combined. The moment the flour hits the wet batter, you’re fighting against the clock as the gluten starts to form. Overmixing can lead to excessive gluten development, resulting in a tougher loaf. 

To nail a light and fluffy product, gently fold in the flour until it is combined; then, allow the batter to be covered with plastic wrap for 30 minutes in the fridge before baking. This resting time will allow the existing gluten to relax, reducing the possibility of firmness. 

After coming out of the oven, the banana bread needs to be removed from the loaf pan immediately and put on a wire rack until it cools to room temperature. The longer the loaf stays in the pan, the soggier the bottom will become. 

After being removed from the oven at 350 degrees F, the loaf will still be quite hot at around 200 degrees F. The residual heat will cook the slightly underdone bread to completion on the countertop. Exercise caution during this part to avoid burns from the loaf pan. 

This recipe is a merry blend of simplicity, flavor and dairy-free delight. After all, who doesn’t love a slice of banana bread?

Banana Bread

• Active Time: 15 minutes
  • Cooking Time: 1 hour
  • Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
  • Serves: 5-6

Tools:

• Large mixing bowl 
  • Rubber spatula 
  • 9-inch loaf pan 
  • Parchment paper 
  • Non-stick spray 

Ingredients: 

• 500 g overripe bananas (approximately 4 bananas)
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • ⅔ cup sugar 
  • 1 large egg
  • 5 g vanilla bean paste 
  • 8 g baking soda
  • Salt to taste 
  • 220 g all-purpose flour

Instructions: 

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Mash bananas into a smooth paste in a large mixing bowl with a rubber spatula. 
  3. Stir in oil, sugar, egg, vanilla, baking soda and salt until thoroughly combined.
  4. Gently fold in flour until combined, making sure not to overmix. 
  5. Prepare the pan by spraying and lining it with parchment paper.
  6. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. 
  7. Rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes covered.
  8. Bake for an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  9. Rest on a wire rack until it reaches room temperature.