Convenience store at West undergoes construction

The Market at West Side is a temporary convenience store located on Stony Brook University campus. The pop up shop will be replaced with a brand new 2,000 square foot store set to open in Spring 2019. NICOLAS PENNISI/THE STATESMAN

If you’re in the market for groceries this semester, you won’t be able to find them on the west side of campus.

The West Side Dining convenience store is more than tripling in size as it undergoes a major renovation but is not expected to open until the Spring semester.

Director of Marketing & Communications for the Faculty Student Association Angela Agnello said the convenience store would be closed throughout the Fall 2018 semester.

“The tiny 300 square foot store that was at West Side Dining could not accommodate the needs of students with such a limited selection of grab-n-go items,” she said. “The brand new 2,000 square foot store will offer grab-and-go sandwiches and salads, fresh produce, grocery items, coffee, beverages, snacks, ice cream novelties and cookware.”

Agnello said a temporary store inside a pop-up tent has been set up for the time being, offering a small selection of items.

“During the construction, the Faculty Student Association has set up a temporary store behind West Side Dining, near Kelly Quad and a short walk from the West Apartments, so you can use your Dining Dollars or Wolfie Wallet to buy snacks, beverages and grab-n-go options,” she said.

Senior art history major Jade Blanco, who lives in West Apartments, said she was glad the convenience store was getting an upgrade.

“I think the convenience store is good in theory, but there needs to be items in the store that

are useful for upperclassmen,” she said. “It’s great to have grab-n-go options, but fresh items and other foods students can actually use for cooking would be beneficial.”

Dutch exchange student and sociology major Elisa Groothuis said it was difficult to grocery shop without a car, and the current pop-up shop wasn’t doing much to help.

“The bus to Target only goes one day a week and an Uber is very expensive,” she said. “It would be nice if there were more (grocery) options on campus this term, but I think it’s good they’re renovating the main store.”

The West Side pop-up shop is open Monday-Friday 7 a.m.-3 a.m. and Saturday-Sunday 8:30 a.m.-3 a.m.