Fire in Math building evacuates students

(MANJU SHIVACHARAN/THE STATESMAN)
The fire, which set off alarms at 3:45, was caused by a piece of electrical equipment. One staff member was taken to the University Hospital for smoke inhalation. (MANJU SHIVACHARAN/THE STATESMAN)

The Physics and Math buildings were evacuated after a fire on the third floor of the Math building set off alarms at 3:45 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 24. The fire was caused by a piece of electrical equipment and was extinguished quickly, according to University Media Relations manager Alida Almonte.

One staff member was transported to the University Hospital for smoke inhalation. Classes in both the Physics and Math buildings have been cancelled for the rest of the day.

The damage to the building is currently being assessed and cleanup operations are underway.

“We were sitting in class and no one knew what was going on,” Robert Brienza, a junior physics major, said. “I thought it was a drill because we got an email that said there would be a fire drill.”

The University Police Office of Emergency Management was scheduled to conduct tests of emergency notifications systems at 12:55 p.m. and 4:55 p.m.

Update—The cause of the fire is under investigation, but it originated in a computer server room, according to Director of Campus Emergency Management Lawrence Zacarese. In addition to the staff member, two University Fire Marshals were sent to the hospital for evaluation. All three have been released.

Correction: September 26, 2014

A previous version of this article referred to Alida Almonte as a “Media Relations officer.” Her title has been corrected.