Volleyball goes 3-for-4 at Rose Hill Classic

It was an impressive weekend for the women’s volleyball team, which won three of four games at the Rose Hill Classic.

After falling in five sets to NJIT (25-22, 24-26, 26-24, 18-25, 15-12) on Friday morning, the Seawolves went all five sets to beat Fordham, 17-25, 25-18, 21-25, 29-27, 15-13.

In the fourth set of the Fordham match, SBU faced three match points before finally forcing one last set. It trailed 12-10 in the fifth set but won after rallying to score five of the last six points.

Freshman Melissa Rigo had a match-high 19 kills in the Fordham game and posted her third double-double of the season (22 kills, 15 digs) against NJIT.

Junior Evann Slaughter had a season-high 15 kills in both games and combined for 11 blocks.

Senior Greta Strenger also added 15 digs, a career-best for her.

Freshman Nicole Vogel and sophomore Hannah Dolan combined for 88 assists overall; Vogel had 50 in both games and Dolan had 38.

The Seawolves won both of their games on Saturday, sweeping Cornell (25-13, 25-21, 25-21) and beating Bucknell in five sets (25-12, 23-25, 23-25, 25-16, 15-12) for their third straight win.

They beat Cornell in spectacular style, closing the match on a 15-5 run and ending with a .306 hitting percentage.

Rigo led the Seawolves in the Bucknell game, posting a season-high 23 kills and 17 digs and getting her fourth double-double of the season.

Slaughter had 13 kills against Bucknell, four of which occurred in the fifth set.

Junior Hailee Herc had a career-high 22 digs against Bucknell. She was one of five Seawolves to finish off the game with double-digit digs.

Vogel and Dolan once again split the setting duties, combining for 74 assists and guiding Stony Brook to a .292 hitting percentage against Cornell.

Rigo leads the America East Conference in average kills per game with four and a half. She also leads the conference with service aces with14.

The team is third in assists with 284, trailing New Hampshire and UMBC. They are also third in the conference with 299 kills.

Rigo was also named America East Volleyball Rookie of the Week last week for the second week in a row.She was also named to the all-Tournament team last week.

Stony Brook plays its final tournament of the season next weekend. It will head to New Jersey for the SHU Invitational, taking on Seton Hall and Morgan State. The conference season starts on Friday, September 28.