First female FSA executive director appointed

The exterior of West Side Dining at Stony Brook University in 2022. Diana Kubik has been appointed as executive director of the Faculty Student Association (FSA). BRITTNEY DIETZ/THE STATESMAN

Diana Kubik became the first woman to be appointed as executive director of the Faculty Student Association (FSA) at Stony Brook University in February.

Prior to her appointment as FSA executive director, Kubik worked at an education agency associated with Cornell University, serving as their chief operating officer. She also has experience teaching business management, accounting, leadership training courses and in providing counseling to start-up companies. 

Kubik also served as FSA’s chief financial officer prior to her new position, joining FSA in July 2022. Her career consists of over 30 years of experience in business development, finance and human resources. 

“I was very excited about joining the FSA because I align with its mission to create positive and memorable experiences for all of our constituents,” Kubik said 

As executive director, Kubik hopes to deliver quality and unforgettable experiences to students and faculty across campus. 

“My goal is to always provide new services and memorable experiences for all Stony Brook students, faculty, staff and community,” Kubik said. 

Angela Agnello, FSA’s senior director of marketing & communications, highlights Kubik’s emphasis on student success. 

“Everything that Diana does is to ensure that students succeed inside and outside of the classroom so that when they look back at their time spent here at Stony Brook, it will be filled with fond memories,” Agnello said. 

Kubik is already rolling out new changes for the Stony Brook community. She has added new furniture to the Roth Food Court and installed a new sound system in West Side Dining. FSA is also looking to add a stage to West Side Dining for student performances, cooking competitions and other events.

Kubik introduced a new food truck, the Changing Times Food Truck. In addition to a rotating weekly menu, the food truck now accepts Dining Dollars. Kubik also noted that at the Student Activities Center (SAC), Big Parm was introduced, allowing students to enjoy chicken and eggplant parmigiana over pasta or on a hero. Also at the SAC, build-your-own acai bowls and different smoothie flavors are now available. 

With Kubik’s new role, she leads many of FSA’s operations on West Campus, Stony Brook Hospital, Stony Brook’s Southampton campus, Southampton Hospital, the Long Island State Veterans Home and the Stony Brook Food Business Incubator at Calverton. 

One area of campus life that Kubik wants to improve is the dining services on Southampton Campus. 

“The Faculty Student Association will have a transformative impact at Stony Brook Southampton to serve and support students, faculty, and staff as well as visitors who come to the campus by fostering connections through much-needed services,” Kubik said.

Kubik and her team at FSA have been working on new dining services within the Southampton campus as well.

“As part of the FSA’s efforts to revitalize the [Southampton] campus, this month we opened a cafe in the Student Center with an adjacent seating area,” Kubik said. 

Another new service that Kubik looks to include in the Southampton campus is a full-service menu, which incorporates breakfast, soups, salads, sandwiches and more. 

Kubik’s efforts to enhance services at the Southampton campuses do not stop with dining services. She announced that there will be more affordable University merchandise for students to buy at pop-up events. The merchandise will include T-shirts, sweatshirts and winter apparel.

Kubik indicates that plans are also underway for a new Stony Brook Southampton apparel store on campus.

Kubik said a new kiosk is currently being installed at the Student Center on the Southampton campus to allow students to express their Southampton pride. The kiosk will allow students to purchase Southampton merchandise, textbooks and course materials. 

Serving as FSA executive director, Kubik will lead the organization amid controversy with CulinArt, Stony Brook’s catering company. In February, The Statesman reported that CulinArt allegedly misappropriated university funds. 

The Statesman discovered that the New York attorney general’s office started an investigation into CulinArt’s work in Stony Brook back in December of 2021. FSA hired a private investigator to look into CulinArt earlier this year.

Kubik indicated that “[FSA] is currently conducting an investigation regarding the allegations.” Following the completion of the investigation, Kubik aims to ensure that FSA is determined to take the appropriate steps necessary to address any issues. 

In the midst of the investigation, Kubik wants to provide reassurance to the Stony Brook community. “We will ensure there is no disruption in service for our students or the campus community,” Kubik said. 

Kubik said she also has strong leadership, relationship and problem-solving skills. She has a passion for educating and teaching, and wants to help students succeed.

“I believe in always having an open dialogue with students to develop trust and mutual respect so that together we can accomplish great things,” Kubik said. 

Kubik looks forward to incorporating teamwork, cross-collaboration and the use of feedback to continuously provide quality and remarkable service to the Stony Brook community. 

Dawn Villacci, FSA’s director of campus dining, expressed her excitement about Kubik’s new role. 

“I am thrilled that [Kubik] was appointed as executive director of the Faculty Student Association,” Villacci said. 

Villacci notes that Kubik’s emphasis on customer service has already been shown through additions such as the Changing Times Food Truck and a third beverage station at Starbucks in the Melville Library.

“[Kubik] is a true leader who exhibits integrity and a growth mindset,” Villacci said. “I truly look forward to what is to come.”

Regarding Kubik’s overall experience since her arrival at FSA, she expressed her delight with FSA and their work so far. “Over the last nine months, I have worked with a talented and dedicated team of people that support students and the entire SBU community,” Kubik said.