AMS Professor Tom MacCarthy Passes Away

A headshot of Stony Brook University associate professor Tom MacCarthy. MacCarthy passed away this weekend. COURTESY OF STONY BROOK NEWS

Tom MacCarthy, an associate professor in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics (AMS), passed away over the weekend.

His death was announced in an email sent to students in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences by the school’s dean, Andrew Singer, which was obtained by The Statesman.

“This is a tragic loss for Professor MacCarthy’s family, friends, colleagues, and students. He was a hugely respected member of our community,” Singer wrote.

Joseph Mitchell, the chair of the AMS department, also shared his condolences in the email sent out by Singer.

“‘Tom was simply the nicest guy you could ever imagine having as a colleague,’” Mitchell wrote. “‘His expertise spanned areas of computational and statistical modeling in biology, particularly in immunology, evolutionary systems, and, most recently, computational virology. He has been a beloved colleague, teacher, and mentor to a diverse set of students, at all levels, from high school, through undergraduate and PhD. Tom never turned down an opportunity to serve the campus and never backed down from a challenge. He will be sorely missed.’”

According to the email, viewing and funeral services are expected to take place on Friday, Nov. 10, in the late afternoon and evening at Branch Funeral Home in Smithtown, N.Y. The church service is planned for Saturday, Nov. 11, at St. James Roman Catholic Church in Setauket, N.Y.

This is a breaking news story. The Statesman will provide updates as they become available.