Stony Brook University presidential search narrows down to three candidates

The Stony Brook University Administration Building. Potential president candidates have been narrowed down to three. EMMA HARRIS/THE STATESMAN

The search for the next president of Stony Brook University is nearing its end. 

After six months, potential candidates have been narrowed down to three choices as of Monday, according to a campus-wide email sent out Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.

The email, sent by Chairman Kevin S. Law of the Presidential Search Committee and Stony Brook Council, states that after reviewing over 50 applicants and conducting 10 interviews, the final three candidates will be reviewed by State University of New York (SUNY) Chancellor Kristina Johnson and her executive leadership team. 

After Johnson selects her final candidate, they will need to be approved by the SUNY Board of Trustees.

“As noted in an earlier message, our goal was to attract a dynamic, strategic and collaborative leader who will continue the momentum and enhance Stony Brook in its role as a top national research university,” Law wrote in the email. “I believe we have met this charge and look forward to the entire SBU campus community welcoming the candidate ultimately approved by the Chancellor and the SUNY Board.”

After the approval by the Board, SUNY will send out a press release detailing the new president’s appointment information, according to the SUNY Presidential Search Summary and Timeline. The new president is expected to take over this summer.

The appointed president will supersede interim President Michael Bernstein, who took office in August and withdrew his name from consideration in late January

“I thank the members of the Committee and the Council who gave their time and insights throughout this process,” Law wrote in the email. “We came together as a team focused on finding a set of finalists who could take Stony Brook to the next level.”