USG Executive Vice President Announces Resignation

Executive Vice President of the Undergraduate Student Government Alexander Dimitriyadi announced his resignation at Thursday night’s Senate meeting.

Dimitriyadi, who was elected last spring, will step down effective March 8. President Matthew Graham will appoint someone in Dimitriyadi’s place; it has not yet been announced who will replace him. Though no one has stepped up to the position, both Senator Deborah Machalow and Director of USG Event Programming Moiz Khan have been rumored candidates.

“I would have liked to continue out the rest of my term, but I have been juggling a lot of other obligations since June,” Dimitriyadi said. “It’s time for other individuals in USG to make their advancement forward.”

He handed in his resignation to President Matthew Graham on Thursday afternoon, citing a reconsideration of his priorities.

“I’m shocked. As much as Alex and I haven’t agreed over the past two years, we have learned to work together,” Machalow said. “The organization will surely miss him. I am just basically shocked and it seems most of my colleagues feel the same way.”

Dimitriyadi spoke during open agenda, saying he would continue to be a presence and support USG, but could not devote the necessary time to the organization.

Graham said that though he and Dimitriyadi fought, he enjoyed working with him.

“There are going to be really hard shoes to fill, especially after such a great EVP like Alex,” Graham said. “It’s really disappointing to see him go.”

Look to Statesman for more in-depth information on this story in the coming days.