UPD investigating two counts of credit card theft on campus

An image of a theft suspect shared by the University Police Department. He is being investigated for two counts of credit card theft. PHOTO CREDIT: UPD

Update 3/20/19 2:50 p.m.: The suspect, who has no university affiliation, was found and arrested off campus. Robert Lenahan, UPD chief of police, thanked members of the campus community who assisted in the investigation in an email sent Sunday night.

The University Police Department (UPD) is investigating two reports of credit card theft, according to an email sent to the campus community on Wednesday afternoon.

The suspect physically removed credit cards from several open offices in the Administration Building and the Heart Center at Stony Brook University Hospital.

Assistant Chief of Patrol Eric Olsen said that students should never leave their cards, wallets, purses, bags, etc. unattended and should always keep their cards on their person. If someone’s card is stolen, they should contact their credit card company or bank to cancel the card and then file a report with UPD.