Remembering Noah Farrelly

Noah Farrelly, a freshman that was hit by a vehicle on Tuesday passed away last week. Farrelly was a student athlete and ran cross country and track. COURTESY OF STONY BROOK ATHLETICS

Noah Bernard Farrelly, born on June 6, 2000 in Binghamton, New York, passed away on the afternoon of Thursday, Dec. 6. The freshman student-athlete’s death came two days after he was hit by a vehicle while out for a run, which left him in critical condition.

The son of Jim and Bridgette Farrelly, Noah was a student-athlete at Binghamton High School, where he competed as a member of the cross country and track teams all four years. Farrelly was named a Southern Tier Athletic Conference All-Star in 2015 and 2017 and was a 2018 Section IV Indoor and Outdoor Track 3,200-meter champion. He was also a four-time qualifier for the New York State Track Meet as a Patriot.

Farrelly continued his track and cross country careers following his high school graduation by signing a National Letter of Intent to Stony Brook on May 29, 2018. In the first run of his Seawolf career this season, the freshman ran a time of 19:34.15 at the Stony Brook Season Opener.

Away from the track, Noah was the oldest of three children, with a brother named Alec and sister named Margaret. He was an avid supporter of the NFL’s New England Patriots and NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder. In the classroom, Noah was a member of the New York State Business and Marketing Honor Society at Binghamton High School. He was in pursuit of a bachelor’s degree in psychology while enrolled at Stony Brook University.

Cross country and track and field head coach Andy Ronan saw Noah do what he loved to do best.

“The memories of his passion, drive, humor and warmth will guide us through these difficult and dark days,” Ronan said. “They will also sustain us as we move forward as a program.”

His teammates considered him a brother and a friend who spread beautiful, unequivocal love. To those that were close to him, only kind words were used for the 18-year-old.

He is described as “the nicest, most genuine person you would ever meet; easygoing and friendly, but tough and driven at the same time. He will always shake your hand and congratulate you after a race, and you know he’s out there giving it his all every time.”

Noah will be remembered as a young man who “lived a life that was filled with laughter and love.”

“During his brief time at Stony Brook, Noah made a powerful impact that left a permanent imprint on our department,” Stony Brook Director of Athletics Shawn Heilbron said. “We were all fortunate to have Noah enter our lives and he will forever be a part of our Seawolves family. His family, teammates and friends will remain on my mind and in my heart.”

A passionate student-athlete, son, friend, teammate, and much more — the Stony Brook community mourns the loss of Noah. Seawolves will remember the life of Noah with a moment of silence at the men’s basketball game on Wednesday, Dec. 12.