Football’s Parris out for season with fractured leg

Senior left tackle Timon Parris (No. 71, above) blocks a rusher in a game against Towson on Sept. 23. Parris will miss the rest of this final season due to a fractured fibula. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Football senior left tackle Timon Parris will miss the rest of his final college season due to a fractured fibula, the team confirmed on Tuesday. The injury is a serious blow to the Seawolves offense and to Parris’ 2018 NFL Draft stock.

Parris left Saturday’s game against Richmond with what appeared to be a right ankle injury. The 6’5, 320-pound lineman was carried off the field midway through the second quarter and did not return. 

On second and 10 from the Stony Brook 37-yard line, junior quarterback Joe Carbone called a pass play, but was chased out of the pocket by Richmond redshirt-freshman defensive lineman Colby Ritten. Ritten came from Carbone’s right, forcing the quarterback to scramble left for a two-yard gain. Ritten lost his footing in pursuit and collided with the back of Parris’ right ankle.

Parris, who started in all 41 games in his four-year career with the Seawolves, is considered one of the best prospects in the Football Championship Subdivision. Scouts and draft analysts believed he had the potential to become the first Stony Brook player taken in the NFL Draft. ESPN’s Forrest Conoly, a two-year starter on the offensive line for FSU in the 90s, said Parris had “NFL potential” during Stony Brook’s week one loss to USF. Parris was named to the STATS FCS All-American second team at the end of last season and the preseason STATS FCS All-American first team this season.

Parris has played a big role in Stony Brook’s success this season, anchoring an offensive line for a run game with the second-most rushing touchdowns and fifth-most rushing yards in the Colonial Athletic Association.

The news broke Tuesday afternoon, less than 24 hours after the Seawolves were ranked 14th in the STATS FCS poll and 21st in the coaches poll. The last time Stony Brook was ranked 14th or higher was when they were ranked 13th in the coaches poll after week two in 2013.

STATS FCS reported that junior lineman Jonathan Haynes will start in Parris’ stead, but starting senior right tackle Jackson Miller and senior offensive lineman Chris Infantino have filled in this year when Parris has spent time on the sideline. Haynes started the first five games of last season at right guard.