Second-half surge ignites Stony Brook win

Junior running back Stacey Bedell (no. 21, above) breaks through a tackle in a game against Sacred Heart University at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Sept. 24, 2016. JERROD WHITE/THE STATESMAN

With his team playing ahead for the first time in three quarters, senior defensive back Jaheem Woods intercepted a late fourth quarter pass at Towson’s 25 yard-line. This timely pick set up redshirt junior Stacey Bedell’s 23-yard touchdown run down the sideline that solidified Stony Brook’s newly found lead.

On the heels of a stifling defense that allowed a mere three second-half points, Stony Brook chipped away at an early deficit in Saturday’s 27-20 win over Towson at Johnny Unitas Stadium.

Following an interception from junior defensive back Tyrice Beverette in the first quarter, the Seawolves strung together an 11-play, 77 yard drive that culminated in a three-yard Bedell touchdown run, establishing an early 7-0 lead.

But the rest of the first half would belong entirely to the Tigers, who went on to score 17 unanswered points and held the Seawolves scoreless in the second quarter

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Joe Carbone accounted for the only scoring play of the third quarter: a 12-yard quarterback draw that inched the Seawolves to within three points.

The play followed a 25-yard connection to junior wide receiver Ray Bolden, Carbone’s receiving anchor, who ended the night with a team-leading five receptions and 82 yards.

With the loss of fellow junior wide receiver Donavin Washington to injury, the rest of Stony Brook’s receiving production was spread throughout a medley of lesser known players.

Six Seawolves tallied a reception on Saturday, the first of the season for wide receivers senior Steve Marino and junior Julius Wingate. Redshirt freshman receiver Andrew Trent received the first starting nod of his young career.

Carbone completed an economical 15 of 23 passes for 165 yards, with no touchdowns and no interceptions. Finding stride with short and mid-level sideline passes, Carbone seems to prove most effective when serving as a compliment to the running game, rather than the offense’s focal point.

On the second play of the fourth quarter, sophomore running back Jordan Gowins churned out a 20-yard third down conversion to the one-yard line. On the ensuing play, he promptly backed in for the go-ahead touchdown, the third of four Stony Brook rushing touchdowns on the night.

Soon after, Bedell would trot in untouched for the lead cementing score.

Bedell netted 127 yards on 20 carries and two touchdowns, while his cousin, Gowins, added 62 yards and a touchdown of his own.

Conference play continues for Stony Brook when it hosts a 1-5 Rhode Island team on Saturday, Oct. 15 at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium for the university’s homecoming game.