Women’s track team finishes fifth, men sixth at AE Championships

Melian_SBAthletics
Junior distance runner, Christina Melian (above), won the women’s 3,000-meter race with a time of 9:43.16 this weekend at the indoor track and field America East Championships in Staten Island, New York. PHOTO CREDIT: STONY BROOK ATHLETICS

The Stony Brook Women’s Track and Field team placed fifth in the America East Championships over the weekend, with the men’s team coming in sixth.

The Seawolves had a couple of strong individual performances through the 20 events spread across Friday and Saturday.

Junior Christina Melian placed first in the women’s 3,000-meter run and freshman Holly Manning won the women’s 1,000-meter run. Manning was named Most Outstanding Rookie at the meet. She finished with a time of 2:52.13 in the 1,000-meter run. Melian won by six seconds with a time of 9:43.16.

Melian and Manning also helped Stony Brook take second place in the women’s distance medley relay, joined by sophomore Jane Clark and senior Kate Pouder.

Among other top finishes for the Seawolves was a second-place finish finish from sophomore Michael Watts, who only lost to UMBC senior standout Hassan Omar in the 3,000-meter run.

Junior Dana Husband cleared 5-feet-7-inches in the women’s high jump and sophomore Kaylyn Gordon leapt 19 feet in the women’s long jump.

Freshman Kevon White competed in the finals of the men’s 60-meter dash and 200-meter dash, finishing fifth and sixth respectively.

Freshman Wayne Williams and sophomore Daniel Connelly both finished in third in the men’s 500-meter dash and the 5,000-meter run, respectively.

Freshman Pedro Arias joined Williams in the 500-meter dash finals, finishing sixth.

Stony Brook finished third in the men’s 4×800-meter relay with three seniors, Jonathan Samuel, Gabriel Vazquez and Bradley Amazan, joined by sophomore Thomas Wimmers.

In the women’s 60-meter dash, freshman Chinque Thompson placed fourth and freshman Sarah Militano finished in seventh. Junior Christine Eisenberg finished fourth in the women’s mile, followed by Pouder in fifth.

The conference championship results are comparable to last season’s, in which the women’s team finished in fifth and the men in seventh.

Next up for the Seawolves is the Fastrack Last Chance Meet in Staten Island on Feb. 27 at 4 p.m..