Indoor track competes at Boston University

Amazan_02edit-600x400
The Stony Brook Indoor Track Team will compete again on Friday in the Metropolitan Championships. COURTESY OF STONY BROOK ATHLETICS

The Stony Brook Men’s and Women’s Indoor Track team took part in a tough John Thomas Terrier Classic at Boston University this past weekend.

Stony Brook found itself competing against top schools, like 19th ranked Virginia Men’s Track and 23rd ranked Boston College Women’s Track. The Seawolves did not run consistently parallel to their elite company, but did have some noteworthy individual performances.

Sophomore Kaylyn Gordon starred for the Seawolves during the women’s meet on Friday, finishing in fourth place in the long jump and fifth place in the triple jump event. Her high placement marks the second consecutive year in which she finished in the top-five in both events at the John Thomas Terrier Classic.

Additionally, Gordon showed improvement. She increased her long jump mark from 5.65 meters to 5.71 meters while her triple jump distance improved from 11.85 meters to 11.96 meters.

Elsewhere in field events, junior Dana Husband finished 10th in the high jump for Stony Brook by leaping up to a height of 1.65 meters. Freshman Lauren Glancy finished 17th in the long jump, by traveling a distance of 5.23 meters in the air.

Back on the track, freshman Holly Manning finished 11th in the 1,000-meter race in 2:52.23, as her fellow freshman teammate Chinque Thompson finished 14th in the 60 meter dash in 7.76 seconds.

Senior Kate Pouder ran well on Friday finishing 27th out of 165 runners in the one mile event. Pouder’s time of 5:00.53 was faster than any Seawolf in this year or last year’s event.

Junior standout Christina Melian, who qualified for the NCAA Cross Country Championships Qualifier in the fall, sat out of the event, as it is not out of the ordinary for distance runners to take off of a competition here or there to train for other events. In her case, Melian is preparing for a qualifying standard in the five-kilometer race later on in the year, according to Stony Brook Athletics.

In the men’s track meet senior Alex Lopresti stood out for the Seawolvess when he finished 13th in the 1000-meter race, stopping the clock at a time of 2:28.15. Finishing 13th in the race made him the highest placing Seawolf in any running event over the course of the classic.

Among the other top Stony Brook runners was junior Oscar Mercado who finished 20th in the 500-meter race. Freshman Kevon White placed 25th and 33rd in the 60-meter and 200-meter races, respectively.

The Seawolves will have almost a full week of rest before they head to Staten Island for the Metropolitan Championships on Feb. 5.