Own goal dooms Men’s Soccer against Villanova

Vince Eredi (above, No. 27) scored the only goal for Stony Brook on Sunday night against Villanova. This was Eredei's second goal of the season. His first goal was this past Wednesday against Marist when he scored the game winning goal in over time. KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN
Vince Eredi (above, No. 27, against Marist on Sept. 15) scored the only goal for Stony Brook on Sunday night against Villanova. This was Eredei’s second goal of the season after scoring on Wednesday night. KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN

Sophomore forward Vince Erdei scored his second goal in as many games as the Stony Brook men’s soccer team fell to the Villanova Wildcats 2-1 on Sunday.

The match was tied at one until the last minute of regulation, but Stony Brook scored an own goal, giving Villanova a 2-1 lead with just 41 seconds to play.

The Seawolves struck first, scoring in the 54th minute. The goal was Erdei’s second of the season, assisted by freshman midfielder Serge Gamwanya.

The Wildcats evened the score up 14 minutes later on a kick by John Jlopeh. Jlopeh was assisted by Christopher Bared.

Statistically, the Seawolves outplayed the Wildcats for the majority of the match. Stony Brook outshot Villanova 22-12, including a 7-3 SBU advantage on shots on goal. Stony Brook also had eight corner kicks, compared to just one for Villanova.

Despite the Seawolves’ numbers advantage, they still failed to capitalize on opportunities throughout the game.

Senior goalkeeper Jason Orban played another solid match, racking up three saves and only allowing one Villanova goal. Unfortunately for the Seawolves, Orban had to defend against his own team as well as the Wildcats’ offense.

Villanova’s goalie Will Steiner was able to save everything that was kicked his way as he made seven saves during the match.

The Seawolves will return home this Thursday to take on Buffalo at 7 p.m. at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.