Man in possession of unloaded firearm and meat cleaver arrested on campus

(BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)
UPD arrested the suspect after police spotted him at the LIRR platform on campus and he fled into a nearby wooded area. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

At approximately 3:15 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 4, the Stony Brook University Police Department arrested Joseph Bryan Lloyd, 30, of Brooklyn, N.Y., and charged him with second degree robbery, second degree burglary, criminal possession on school grounds, criminal possession of a firearm, criminal possession of stolen property and menacing.

UPD responded to a report via a 911 transfer from the Suffolk County Police Department that a man forcibly entered his former girlfriend’s office in the Social and Behavioral Sciences Building wearing a wig, threatened her and forcibly took her cellphone, according to a press release.

The woman was able to flee the building.

UPD conducted an immediate search of the campus while officers interviewed the victim.

Uniformed officers located a man who fit the suspect’s description waiting on the Stony Brook Long Island Rail Road platform. The suspect, Lloyd, fled on foot across Circle Road into a nearby wooded area as officers approached him.

Lloyd was apprehended shortly, according to the press release. A search of the wooded area revealed an unloaded .38 caliber handgun, along with Lloyd’s backpack containing the wig, a meat cleaver and other assorted items.

“When officers arrived on the scene the victim was understandably traumatized and didn’t immediately articulate the suspect had a weapon,” Assistant Chief of University Police Eric Olsen wrote in an email. “She did give us a description and a possible location of the suspect that Officers immediately transmitted to all the Officers on campus. Officers very quickly spotted the suspect on the LIRR platform, gave chase and took the suspect into custody before we even knew a gun was involved. Had we had knowledge of the gun before we took the suspect into custody, and conducted a search for the suspect of any length, we would have issued a notification.”