Nicolls Road motorcycle accident claims one life

(BRIANA FINNERAN/THE STATESMAN)
Nicolls Road was blocked off between the main and south entrances due to a motorcycle accident that claimed the life of a 32-year-old male. Nicolls Road was not reopened until approximately 11:15 p.m. (BRIANA FINNERAN/THE STATESMAN)

University Police officials blocked off Nicolls Road between the main and south entrances of campus on Friday evening due to a motorcycle accident that claimed the life of a 32-year-old male.

According to Assistant Chief of Police Eric Olsen, the Suffolk County Police Department called UPD at approximately 6:10 p.m. and asked for assistance in all northbound road closures and in diverting traffic through Health Sciences Drive. Nicolls Road was later reopened at approximately 11:15 p.m.

Upon arrival, it was determined that two motorcyclists were traveling northbound when one of the operators lost control of his motorcycle, hitting the center guardrail causing multiple injuries,” Olsen said in an email. 

The victim was then transported to the Stony Brook University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Olsen said the victim had no known affiliation with the university.

The Suffolk County Police Department Accident Investigations Unit will look into the case to determine the factors that contributed to the accident.