Provost Student Advisory Group unavailable to students

(EZRA MARGONO / THE STATESMAN)
Provost Dennis Assanis speaks to President Stanley. Assanis appointed the Provost Student Advisory Group. (EZRA MARGONO / THE STATESMAN)

Since the Provost Student Advisory Group sponsored its first lecture event last semester, called “Guns 4 Greatness,” nothing but an unresponsive provost, a neglected Facebook page and five shadowy PSAG members seem to be all that is left of a group lacking public presence.

Consisting of five Stony Brook University colleagues, the Provost Student Advisory Group includes Co-Presidents Anna Lubitz and Ryan Heslin—chosen by the provost because of their many leadership roles on campus—along with three hand-picked members: Chris Priore, Tyler Morrison and Justin Ly.

Anna Lubitz was the former Undergraduate Student Government president and Ryan Heslin is the organization’s current associate justice.

According to Lubitz and Priore, PSAG was formed to put administration in direct contact with students and to get students involved in the various lecture series on campus by combining both social and societal issues.

Priore fervently commended all the work and funding that Provost Dennis Assanis put into breaking down the barriers between administration and students.

“Dr. Assanis has really been great with trying to get rid of that disconnect, and I know that’s one of his goals to really try to like get the students interests and their desires known to administration,” Priore said.

However, when surveyed, only two of 11 departments which report to the provost claim to have heard of PSAG. Assanis did not respond to requests for comment.

Although the group acknowledges that they have no public meetings, no organizational placement on the Provost’s official website and no actual gathering area, the five members are considering revising the above depending on the success of their next lecture event.

According to Lubitz, the group does, at times, meet with the provost when possible to discuss any ideas pressing to students. But because PSAG is still in its beginning stages, Heslin said, anything more would be overkill.

The members emphasize the importance of students reaching out to talk to them through either social media sites or personal interaction. “We want to hear from students,” Heslin said. “Come meet with us and talk or post on Facebook…we’re all ears.”

Though PSAG claims to still be working on the nitty-gritty aspects of their group, which is now in its second semester, Lubitz and Heslin will shortly be free of any further responsibilities come their graduation in May.

Soon to be leaving the PSAG in the hands of Chris Priore, the co-presidents hope the little they have started will somehow thrive, grow and push on.