Mac Miller to head USG fall concert alongside The Cataracs

Mac Miller will be headlining USG's fall concert this year. Photo Courtesy USG
Mac Miller will be headlining USG’s fall concert this year. Photo: Courtesy USG

Students wondering who the performing artists at this year’s “Back to the Brook” concert will be can put their speculations to rest: USG has officially announced that Mac Miller will headline the September 7th show at the Staller steps with an opening performance from The Cataracs.

“When we realized Mac Miller was available we wanted to get him,” said Mario Ferone, Vice President of Communications of USG. “We were all in agreement that it will be a pretty sick show.”

Mac Miller has previously performed at Universities such as Indiana University and Wayne State University. His newest album “Watching Movies With the Sounds Off,” was released earlier this year, but he is best known for his “Best Day Ever Mixtape” (2011).  Miller recently started his own recording label, REMember Music, which was named after his deceased friend, whose initials were REM.

“After we decided on Mac, we looked to see who would go well with him, and The Cataracs seemed like a really good choice,” said Ferone.

The Cataracs will be opening for Mac Miller at USG's fall concert. Photo courtesy USG
The Cataracs will be opening for Mac Miller at USG’s fall concert. Photo: Courtesy USG

The Cataracs might be best known for their involvement in the hit song “Like a G6,” but the DJ group has also managed to produce a lot of music under the indie-pop label. Their most recent studio album was released back in 2009, but the group has continued to release singles and mixtapes over the years. Recently, The Cataracs produce the song “Slow Down,” which made its way into the iTunes Top 100 chart.

Some of the recent USG sponsored concerts have featured a variety of rappers, but this year features a slight change in genres. Still, USG aims to deliver the best show they can.

“In our minds, it was less about genres and more about who we think students would want to see, and how the overall show would sound,” said Ferone.

The show, which begins at 4:30 p.m., is free — but a Stony Brook ID is required to enter.