Muslim Student Association preps for Islam Awareness Week

With Islamic Awareness Week in less than a month, members of the Muslim Students’ Association are preparing for their most comprehensive newsletter yet.

“The Minaret,” compiled by members of the Muslim Student Association at Stony Brook, is an award-winning monthly newsletter containing articles, poems, comedy pieces and announcements written by the students themselves. This upcoming month, however, the MSA will be distributing a booklet entitled “Islam Around the World.”

“Basically, it’s going to be an upgraded version of our usual publication,” Sister Sanaa Nadim, the Muslim chaplain for Stony Brook University’s Interfaith Center, said. “It will emphasize on the cultural effects of Islam, current events, social issues, and include features on Islamic food, clothing and other topics pertaining to faith, making it more of a getting-to-know-you piece.”

The MSA is an organization that serves the needs of Muslim students and their community and strives to educate both Muslims and non-Muslims about Islam.

The latest physical copy of “The Minaret” can usually be obtained from the prayer room or on the table after Friday Prayer (Jumu’ah), which is held in the Union Ballroom. Previous issues can also be found online in the archives at stonybrookmsa.org.