Fotis Sotiropoulos appointed as Interim Provost

Dean of the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences Fotis Sotiropoulos. He will serve as the interim provost and senior vice president for Academic Affairs to replace Provost Michael Bernstein. COURTESY OF STONY BROOK UNIVERSTY

Fotis Sotiropoulos, dean of the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences (CEAS), will serve as interim provost and senior vice president for Academic Affairs, according to an announcement by President Maurie McInnis on Sept. 17. 

Sotiropoulos replaces current Provost Michael Bernstein, who will step down from his position on Oct. 1. Sotiropoulos will also become a member of the University Council due to his experience in strategic planning and academic leadership, according to the announcement. He will return to his position as dean of the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences once the national provost search has been completed. 

“In his five years as Dean of CEAS, Fotis Sotiropoulos has led an initiative to reimagine engineering education, a model for engineering schools around the nation, and achieved significant growth in research, diversity and student success,” McInnis wrote.

Sotirpolous’ main duties as interim provost will be to lead the academic community during the pandemic, as well as to achieve financial stability for Stony Brook University, according to McInnis. 

Sotirpolous tweeted that he is “grateful” to McInnis for the opportunity.

“I am energized to work with her & the SBU community to help ⁦@stonybrooku⁩ emerge stronger than ever,” he wrote. 

The State University of New York (SUNY) named Sotiropoulos as a SUNY distinguished Professor of Civil Engineering in 2017. He has served as director of both the St. Anthony Falls Laboratory and Eolos Wind Energy Research Consortium at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities from 2006 to 2015. He also worked as a faculty member at the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology in 2005.

Associate Vice President for Research Nina Maung and Distinguished Professor of the CEAS and College of Arts and Science Esther Takeuchi will lead the provost search committee. According to the position description, the new provost is expected to serve as a key advisor to McInnis. 

Applications for provost and senior vice president for Academic Affairs are still open. Application review will continue until the position is filled.