Stony Brook University extends pass/no credit deadline to June 3

The outside of the administration building after campus has shut down. The Pass/No Credit deadline has been moved to June 3 at 11:59 p.m. RABIA GURSOY/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook’s Pass/No Credit (P/NC) policy’s deadline has been moved from May 20 to June 3 at 11:59 p.m, according to a campus-wide email from Vice Provost, Charles Robbins.

The P/NC grading system allows students to earn no credit on their transcript for any class with a final grade below a C, without their transcript showing what letter grade they received. If students choose P/NC for a class, that grade will not be factored into their GPA. 

The traditional Grade/Pass/No Credit (G/P/NC) system allowed students to “select a threshold letter grade as the minimum acceptable grade for the course,” which would then be factored into their GPA. Typically the deadline for opting into this system is earlier in the semester. 

The university initially established a P/NC option on March 20. At the time, Robbins sent a campus-wide email announcing the decision that the university recognizes “that this semester is unlike any other and has created a great deal of anxiety and confusion … This change is intended to support your academic success and increase the flexibility available to you.” 

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) argued in an April 9 senate meeting that the P/NC deadline should be moved to after finals since most students won’t know their class grades until then. USG President, Shaheer Khan, said the University Senate Executive Council also sent the provost a private memorandum advocating for the extended deadline. 

Robbins wrote in the May 1 email that for now, students looking to P/NC a class should follow the existing steps on SOLAR. An “updated process will be shared” with students who choose to P/NC any classes after May 20.