SUNY distributes laptops to Stony Brook University students for online learning

The official banner for The State University of New York. SUNY has distributed more than 200 laptops to students in need. PUBLIC DOMAIN

The State University of New York (SUNY) has distributed more than 200 HP laptops to Stony Brook students in need — according to Interim Associate Dean of Students, Jeffrey Barnett.

A technology survey sent to Stony Brook students from the Provost’s office in late March helped Stony Brook University and SUNY to assess how many computers were needed, Barnett said in an Undergraduate Student Government (USG) meeting on April 9. The survey — sent as a Google form — asked students to indicate what technologies they had available to complete their online classes at home. 

“As of early last week, SUNY had shipped to Stony Brook 200 plus computers, as a result of students that indicated that they were without access,” Barnett said. 

The computers were programmed and property-controlled by the Division of Information Technology before they were shipped directly to individual students. Students were also able to pick up the laptops from campus.  

Borrowers will have to give back the laptops after the spring semester ends. One hundred laptops have already been received by students, according to Interim Associate Dean of Students, Ellen F. Driscoll.

Loaner laptops may be used through the summer sessions with an Aug. 1, 2020 return date,” Driscoll said.