Students will receive refunds or credits, Stony Brook University says

The outside of the Administration Building after campus has shut down. Stony Brook University announced that students will receive refunds or credits for unused fees in an email sent out to students on March 23. RABIA GURSOY/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook University announced that students will receive refunds or credits for unused fees in an email sent out to students on March 23. 

The eligible refunds will cover housing fees, meal plan fees and fees for services that have since been discontinued because of coronavirus (COVID-19), like the transportation, athletics, recreation and campus life and student activity fees, the email read. The refund or credit amount for these fees is still being calculated. 

“We are working quickly to resolve the financial impact the current transition to remote learning will have on student’s unused campus housing, meals, and fees for the remainder of the spring semester,” the email read. 

For students living on campus before COVID-19, the refund or credit will be based on the time they officially left housing and the end of the spring semester. Off-campus students with meal plans will receive a refund or credit for the unused portion of the meal plan.  

Students can expect to receive the refund or credit before the end of the spring semester.