Stony Brook University Hospital requests medical equipment donations from the community

The Stony Brook University Hospital. Stony Brook University Hospital is accepting community donations for personal protective equipment (PPE) to be used by medical professionals. EMMA HARRIS/STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook University Hospital is accepting community donations for personal protective equipment (PPE), including face shields, N95 3M 1860 masks, protective eyewear, goggles, disinfectant wipes or hand sanitizer. 

Donated equipment will be used by medical personnel while treating suspected and confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) patients. 

As of March 24, the number of confirmed COVID-19 infected individuals in New York state is at 25,665, with the first COVID-19 cases at Stony Brook University announced Sunday in an email sent out to students and faculty. 

In his press briefing on Friday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo acknowledged the statewide shortage of PPE and offered companies funding to manufacture gowns, gloves and masks. 

Stony Brook University’s iCREATE labs have also started to 3D print medically compliant face shields to help with the shortage of PPE, according to a press release on March 23.

Those interested in donating medical supplies or comfort care items can contact Stony Brook University Community Relations Director, Joan Dickinson, at [email protected] or at 631-219-0603 to arrange for a drop-off time and location. 

The hospital is also calling for supportive video clips, 20 seconds or less, to display to medical personnel throughout the hospital. Clips can be sent to Dickinson at [email protected]

Hospital leadership has acknowledged the swell of support from the community.

“It’s amazing how people can come together to support one another in a time of crisis,” Stony Brook University Hospital CEO, Carol Gomes, said in a press release. “We’ve seen many posts from friends and neighbors offering donations to help the staff at Stony Brook University Hospital. The entire campus community deeply appreciates the outpouring of support. We are grateful for the community’s willingness to help one another. We’re all in this together.”

The Three Village Civic Association is also requesting food donations from the Stony Brook community. 

New efforts to protect the elderly, a high-risk group, under the “Matilda Law” were invoked by Cuomo on Friday. New Yorkers 70 years of age or older are now required to stay at home. 

The Long Island State Veterans Home (LIVSH) restricted visitation in a letter addressed to the veterans’ families on March 10.  

Those interested in sending an uplifting message to the veterans can submit a video clip, 20 seconds or less, to Jonathan Spir, LIVSH deputy executive director, at [email protected]. Messages will be displayed on video boards throughout the facility.

In a letter dated March 20, LIVSH leadership noted that “strict infection control policies” were having a “positive impact,” with no reported cases of COVID-19 reported at the Veterans Home.