Campus Residences adjust room selection timeline for next year

Students moving into their on-campus residence halls at the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year. Stony Brook University Campus Residences modified the room selection timeline for the 2020-21 school year, according to an email sent by Campus Residences to resident students on Friday, March 20. SARA RUBERG/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook University Campus Residences modified the room selection timeline for the 2020-21 school year, according to an email sent by Campus Residences to resident students on Friday, March 20.

The decision comes after the school’s decision to close its residence halls for the remainder of the semester.

“With the recent decision to close the residence halls for the remainder of the semester, we know that getting settled at home, or wherever you may currently be living, is primary on your minds,” the email reads. “Therefore, we have modified the Room Selection timeline to extend the room selection timelines as detailed below.”

The timeline for the various phases of room selection has changed, with each planned date being pushed back a week. Phase 2 — selecting a room — originally slated for Monday, March 23, will now begin on Monday, March 30 at 2 p.m. and last until Thursday, April 16 at 11:59 p.m.

Students will be able to begin Phase 2 between a Monday at 2 p.m. and Thursday at 11:59 p.m., depending on university standing. Students can “Select Current Building as an Individual” on the week of March 30, “Group Select a Building that a Group Member Currently Resides In” on the week of April 6 and “Select Any Available Spaces Alone or with a Group on the week of April 13.”

Resident Assistants (RAs) are able to choose their room between noon on March 23 to 11:59 p.m. on March 26, before room selection is open to the rest of residents.

Phase 3 — Room Change and Swap — has been postponed to Monday, April 20. For undergraduate students, swapping rooms with other students will occur from April 20 to Thursday, July 9, while changing rooms into a vacant space will occur during two distinct periods: April 20 to April 23, and July 6 to July 9. For graduate students, room changes and swaps will occur from April 20 to April 30.

Phase 4 — Waitlists — will be open on Monday, July 13 at 11 a.m. Starting Sept. 15, waitlisted students must confirm their interest in remaining on the waitlist each month in order to maintain their spot, per Campus Residences’ website.

Because a majority of resident students checked out over the last few days per the university’s initiative, the room in which students occupied as of March 9 will determine their ‘current building’ with regards to the options “Select Current Building as an Individual” and “Group Select a Building that a Group Member Currently Resides In.”

Students who are planning to return to on-campus housing for the Fall 2020 semester but did not yet pay the $200 room deposit no longer have to do so, while those who already paid the deposit will have the sum used as a pre-payment of the Fall 2020 housing bill as planned.

Students who have paid the deposit but cancel by Aug. 15 will receive a $200 refund.