SBU offers another policy update

The outside of the Administration Building after campus has shut down. Stony Brook University sent out a policy update on March 20. RABIA GURSOY/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook University offered students another policy update in a campus-wide email sent on March 20.

Among other things, the email announced that students will be able to “choose between a letter grade or pass/no credit for the majority of their courses.” It noted that schools and colleges can opt-out of this new policy, and will inform students of their options before classes resume on March 30.

The email also addressed the decision made by Gov. Andrew Cuomo to reduce the non-essential workforce by 100%.

“This decision has significant consequences for all of us, and we are working diligently to minimize any negative impacts on your education,” the email said. “Your health, safety, and well-being are at the forefront of our planning.”

Stony Brook courses will resume online on March 30, and the semester will end as scheduled on May 20. Professors are expected to post revised syllabi by March 27 with updated information, including the delivery of the course.

Finals will be given online at their originally scheduled days and times. Most courses will be given synchronously, which means students will have to tune in at their regular class times, though the email noted that “faculty will provide asynchronous course content” whenever possible.

“At the very least, your instructors will be available at the originally scheduled course time and date to interact with students and hold office hours,” the email read.

The email concluded by thanking students for their patience as the school tries to adapt to “these evolving challenges.”

“While your academic success is critically important to us, your health and well-being remain our priority,” the email read. “We understand that all of these changes can feel unsettling, and we want you to know that we are here for you.”