Student Engagement and Activities tries to recoup club financial losses

“Far Beyond” signage in the Academic Mall. Stony Brook Student Engagement and Activities is trying to mitigate the financial loss from events canceled by the coronavirus, according to an email sent to student e-board members by the Department of Student Engagement & Activities. EMMA HARRIS/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Student Engagement and Activities is trying to mitigate the financial loss from events canceled by the coronavirus, according to an email sent to student e-board members by the Department of Student Engagement & Activities.

Student Engagement asked student organizations that experienced a financial loss from canceled events to fill out a Student Organization Event Expense Tracker, which will help Student Engagement and university funding agencies track clubs’ financial losses.

“Please note we cannot guarantee that all costs from contracts and vendors will be able to be recouped,” Melissa Scuccimarri-Pastor, associate director of the Department of Student Engagement and Activities, wrote in the email. “Your program advisor will work alongside these funding agencies and your student club to optimize financial recovery.“

Some clubs plan events that cost tens of thousands of dollars and take months to prepare. The African Student Union, for instance, spent several months planning a $24,000 fashion show that they were ultimately forced to cancel.

Student Engagement and Activities confirmed that all campus events were canceled through March 31 shortly after Stony Brook University announced that it would be moving classes online on March 11. Since then, Stony Brook University has extended spring break one week and closed campus residences.