Student life suspended through at least March

Students walking outside of Stony Brook University’s Student Activities Center. Student life on campus will be suspended through March at least. SARA RUBERG/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook University Student Engagement & Activities confirmed that nearly all on-campus events through the end of March have been canceled in a March 11 email to student e-board members.

The announcement comes only a few hours after Interim President, Michael Bernstein, officially announced that Stony Brook University classes would be moving online for the rest of the semester after spring break.

Most club executive board and general body meetings are allowed to continue through the end of this week, but after Thursday, all other events will be canceled, postponed or held virtually.

“All other in-person student organization events – including programs, performances, practices, trainings, new member education/intake events, tabling, lectures, off-campus trips, and competitions/tournaments – through at least March 31, 2020, will be canceled, postponed or must be conducted in a virtual way that does not bring large groups of guests and members of the SBU community in a single venue,” the email read.

The Statesman was able to also confirm that intramural sports through the end of March have been canceled, although their status past April is still uncertain.

With Stony Brook University’s spring break scheduled for March 16 to March 20, this appears to be the final week in which clubs and organizations can operate regularly.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced on March 11 that State University of New York (SUNY) and City University of New York (CUNY) schools will be switching to remote classes. At Stony Brook University, most buildings, including dorms and dining halls, will remain open even as classes are held online.

“We understand that this action may generate some questions, confusion and concerns for you regarding event logistics, funding, and vendor relations,” the email read. “Please know that you have our support to help work through this. Your assigned program advisor will reach out to your club’s leadership to discuss these issues and provide support to you and your organization. We will continue to keep you apprised of additional updates.”

Student Engagement and Activities encourages students to contact the Office of Student Life or the Department of Student Engagement & Activities with questions.

“Stony Brook University continues to closely monitor the guidance provided by the [Centers for Disease Control] and New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) and has determined that out of an abundance of caution, at this time, most non-classroom campus events through at least March 31, 2020, will not take place as planned,” the email read.