Seawolves fans ship up to Boston, loudly and in numbers, to support their team

Seawolves fans react to action at the America East championship game in Boston's Agannis Arena on Saturday. A total of 11 buses made the trip from Stony Brook to Boston University. (Kenneth Ho / The Statesman)

It may have been Boston’s court, but the Stony Brook men’s basketball team, Wolfie, the band, the fans and everyone else of the Seawolves contingent made a statement this Saturday, one for the entire nation to hear.

But in order to understand that statement, the story would need to start before the day’s events even began. Following the team’s win against #1 University of Vermont on March 6, an electric atmosphere permeated every part of the Stony Brook campus. Even the non-sports fans felt themselves driven to this momentous event in Seawolves’ history.

Tickets for the first few fan buses sold out within hours, and the university had to put in a request for seven buses in total. Come Saturday morning, each bus was full of Stony Brook students.

They were about to follow the Stony Brook athletic band, which had left a little more than an hour earlier.

The ride up was uneventful, but traditional Friday night antics along with a desire for slumber have no respect for championships. The fans peacefully journeyed up to Boston for the biggest game in Stony Brook basketball history.

Then came the main event. By game time, there were more Stony Brook fans and band members than there were Boston fans.

This would eventually change, but someone just listening to the radio could’ve confused this game for one played at Pritchard Gymnasium on Long Island.

“Our crowd was definitely louder than Boston,” said Robert Charles, a senior philosophy major.

The fans were positively euphoric at half time. Their team was up seven points, and a first trip to the NCAA basketball tournament was 20 game minutes away. The noise overpowered that of the Boston crowd.

“I loved it,” said Dominic Carlini, a freshman applied math and statistics major. “The crowd brought a lot of energy.”

However, it was not meant to last. The Seawolves had awoken a sleeping giant in Terrier John Holland, who systematically tore Stony Brook apart.

Tension flooded the fan section; the anxiety and frustration was clear.

That being said, no one who was there would’ve said that the Stony Brook fans simply disappeared.

They, the band and Wolfie played an emotional tug-of-war with the Boston side, trying to will their team to the promised land. They out sung Boston’s cheers of “Go, B.U.!” with “S.B.U.”

But, no matter how much they add to a game, fans do not decide who wins.

Holland’s last second free throws technically decide that aspect. He and his fans pushed Boston over the edge.

“How much did they pay the refs?” Charles asked. “At the end of the game, I didn’t see a foul.”

Neither did the rest of the horrified Stony Brook crowd. They silently streamed out of the arena and back to the buses for  the long ride home.

However, there were by no means any thoughts of surrender. The fans vocally defended their team’s effort and everyone started talking about next year’s season.

They are Seawolves. It is their profession.