Pedestrian hit outside of LaValle Stadium

Ambulances outside of Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium after an accident. A female student was hit by a car while crossing on the crosswalk. ANDREW ZUCKER/THE STATESMAN

At 1 p.m. yesterday, the Stony Brook University Police Department (UPD), Setauket Fire Department and Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance Corps (SBVAC) responded to reports of an accident in front of Ammann College, across from Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.

A female student was hit by a car while walking on the crosswalk near stadium parking, Timothy Devine, Setauket Fire Department Third Assistant Chief, said. The female, who remains unidentified, was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital where she will be treated for non-life threatening injuries.

While medics and firemen placed a brace on the leg of the unidentified female and loaded her onto an ambulance, bystanders stared and pointed at the number of responding emergency personnel. Aside from Devine, there were two Setauket ambulances, three UPD police cars, a Setauket fire engine and an ambulance from The Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance Corps (SBVAC).

Devine explained that the number of emergency personnel who showed up was due to protocol. Originally, the response team believed the woman may have been trapped under the car, which would have required a larger response team.

EMT responders treated the driver of the car, also a student, for shock.

The names of the driver and the victim are not available at this time. And no criminality was involved in the accident, Eric Olsen, assistant chief of police, said.

Ryan Magill contributed reporting.