Editorial: Introducing “Just Ask”: an advice column

With over 16,000 undergraduate students on our campus, it can be difficult for all students — especially freshmen — to have the courage to ask questions. Even a freshman who is new to adulting and the college experience can use “Just Ask” to ask actual students questions on how to get involved in the SBU community and make it through the semester.

Please note that none of our staff at The Statesman are licensed counselors, and will only provide advice based on personal experience and online sources if necessary.

Being a student at a top 100 nationally ranked university can be very stressful whether you’re a commuter or a resident. The ultimate goal of the column is to provide helpful and accurate information for the student body, while also being your personal guide through your college experience.

To answer any questions anyone has about any major or minor issues they may be having, the Opinions section of The Statesman is launching “Just Ask.”

Opinions only has one other column, “The Onion Bagel,” a satire column that is released occasionally. While “The Onion Bagel” is for satirical humor, “Just Ask” will be used to offer a second perspective to issues students may be facing and answer questions they may have — whether it be academic or personal.

Students can submit questions through a Google form. You can ask us questions with a display name of your choice, but you also have the option of submitting your name if you want to be public.

The form is confidential, and all the answers to questions will be answered by the Stony Brook community and the column will be published in both our print and online issues.

The “Just Ask” answers may actually cover some of your questions, even if you’re too shy to send them in. The column is meant for students and answered by students and serves to strengthen our community in helping others in any way we can.

All questions are welcomed, and they are not limited to just academic issues. Grades are extremely important, but so is our mental and physical wellbeing. Share the tips that helped you, and it just might help someone else.

Happy asking, Seawolves!