SBU discontinuing search for provost

Former Provost Michael Bernstein. He is now interim President of Stony Brook University and announced on August 14 that Stony Brook will be discontinuing its search for a new provost while Minghua Zhang serves as interim provost. COURTESY OF STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY

Stony Brook University will be discontinuing its search for a new provost, interim President Michael Bernstein announced in an email sent to faculty and staff on Wed., Aug. 14. 

“After careful thought and consideration, and with substantial input from various academic, administrative, and community constituents, I have decided that it is in the best interest of our University to discontinue the search and recruitment process for our next University Provost at this time,” he wrote.

Minghua Zhang, former dean and director at the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences (SoMAS), will be continuing as interim provost until Stony Brook resumes the search. He took over the position on Aug. 1, when Bernstein left his position as provost to serve as the interim president of the university.