Johnstonbaugh lifts Women’s Soccer over UMBC 1-0

Senior forward Julie Johnstonbaugh tries to gain possession of the ball during a 2017 game. Stony Brook won 1-0 over UMBC this past Thursday. JACQUELINE RYAN/STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook Women’s Soccer picked up its second 1-0 victory of the season on Thursday, Oct. 11 at UMBC.

After a slow start that mostly involved passing and fighting for possession, senior forward Julie Johnstonbaugh took matters into her own hands, scoring on a pass from sophomore midfielder Kimmy Chavkin 14 minutes into play.

This first shot of the matchup resulted in the lone goal of the night. Head coach Brendan Faherty was satisfied with his team’s defense holding UMBC scoreless.

“It’s always good to go on the road, get a shutout and a win,” Faherty said in a press release. “I was impressed with UMBC on the attacking side of the ball, but credit to our team defending to keep them off the scoreboard.”

An element that dwelled over both teams in the game was the severe weather in the area. Lightning caused an hour-long delay that began with just around five minutes left in the first half.

“With the weather delay and the conditions of the field, I’m very happy with our student-athletes’ ability to stay focused and finish the job,” Faherty said.

Another factor that set the game apart was the physical style of play. Stony Brook and UMBC accounted for a total of 21 fouls combined, with sophomore midfielder Chelsie DePonte and Chavkin being booked.

The Seawolves and Retrievers finished the first half about even on the stat sheet with three shots each. Sophomore goalkeeper Sofia Manner made one more save than Retrievers sophomore goalkeeper Jade Wilkins, edging her 2-1. Manner finished the matchup with three saves.

As play resumed, both teams looked to put pressure on one another. UMBC had an opportunity in the opening minutes of the second half, but the shot was sent over the goal. Later on in the half, Stony Brook freshman forward Tatum Kauka had shot at the goal but was denied by Wilkins. Wilkins made another save off a Kauka shot just 40 seconds later.

The Seawolves head into their final two America East regular season games with a 9-6-1 overall record and a 4-1-1 record in the conference standings. The Seawolves’ next opponent, the Hartford Hawks, are the current conference leaders with an undefeated 4-0 record. The two teams are tied with 13 points each, but Hartford has the upper hand by one game. The matchup is scheduled for a 6 p.m. kickoff at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Thursday, Oct. 18.