Back to the Brook artists announced

Singer Ashanti will headline Back to the Brook Concert, Vol. 1, on Thursday Oct. 25. Justine Skye and former Stony Brook student, Kelsea Johnson, are also on the lineup. PUBLIC DOMAIN

Stony Brook Student Life sent an email on Tuesday night announcing the artists chosen for the university’s annual Back to the Brook concert. 

“The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) presents your 2018 Back to the Brook Concert, Vol. 1, featuring:  Long Island’s own, AshantiJustine Skye and Stony Brook’s own, Kelsea Johnson,” the email read.

The concert will be held on Thursday, Oct. 25 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Staller Center for the Arts main stage.

The announcement came later than usual this year, sparking speculation earlier in the semester about who the performers would be, and if Back to the Brook would even be held.

USG teased the concert in a video posted to their YouTube channel, sbusg, on Monday, Oct. 1. At the end of the video, the interviewer asked Vice President of Student Life, Kojo Danso, “What’s up with Back to the Brook?” but he ran away from the camera before answering.

Danso told The Statesman that instead of one concert in the fall semester, USG will organize multiple concerts of different genres. USG has not announced when the second concert will be held.

Johnson, a Stony Brook alumna, was featured on The Voice last year. Though she did not win the competition, she made it to the live playoffs.

Ashanti will be Back to the Brook’s first female headliner.