Women’s Soccer loses 1-0 at Hofstra

Sophomore goalkeeper Sofia Manner makes a save against Hofstra in a 2017 game. This past Sunday, Sept. 16, Manner saved four total shots in a game against Hofstra. SERENA TAUSZ/STATESMAN FILE

Despite a close matchup, Hofstra defeated Stony Brook Women’s Soccer 1-0 on Sunday, Sept. 16 in the team’s eighth away game.

This marks the third shutout for Stony Brook this season and the third time a single goal has been scored in a matchup.

Hofstra was awarded its eighth corner kick of the night in the 71st minute, which was crossed across the pitch by sophomore midfielder Jordan Littleboy. The ball found its way to sophomore midfielder Lucy Porter, who headed the ball past Seawolves sophomore goalkeeper Sofia Manner. The English pair connected for the only goal in Sunday’s matchup. Manner saved four shots total in the game.

“It’s a tough loss for our team and program, as it was a spirited match for 90 minutes with limited quality chances for either side,” head coach Brendan Faherty said. “We knew that Hofstra was dangerous on corner kicks and unfortunately we gave up one too many on the day.”

Hofstra finished the game with six shots on net, while Stony Brook totaled four. Both teams had close opportunities in the game. The Seawolves had their first shot on net in the eighth minute when sophomore midfielder Chelsie DePonte shot at the Hofstra goal but was denied by redshirt-senior Jenna Borresen. The Pride were awarded a free kick just around the box area in the 48th minute. The shot by senior forward Jenn Buoncore hit the post and was eventually cleared out by the Seawolves.

The Pride rotated goalkeepers in the matchup, as Borresen started the matchup and was replaced by redshirt-senior Ashley Wilson. Borresen totaled two saves while Wilson had a single save in the combined clean sheet.

Both teams played a physical match, accounting for 16 total fouls, nine coming in the second half of action. Stony Brook’s nine team fouls is six less than the season high 15 against Oregon on Aug. 17 and Oregon State on Aug. 19.

Stony Brook’s current record is 4-5, with only one of the nine games being played at home. The team finally comes back to Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Friday, Sept. 21 to face Delaware State in the team’s final non-conference matchup of the season. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

“After opening up with eight of nine on the road, we are looking forward to playing two at home next weekend in front of our supporters,” Faherty said.