Stony Brook alumnus Jameel Warney signs with Dallas Mavericks

Stony Brook Men’s Basketball alumnus Jameel Warney takes a free throw attempt for Team USA during the FIBA AmeriCup over the summer. He has recently signed with the Dallas Mavericks. PHOTO COURTESY OF NBA E/GETTY IMAGES

Stony Brook Men’s Basketball alumnus Jameel Warney signed with the Dallas Mavericks on Friday morning, multiple sources report.

Details of the contract have yet to be released, but the signing comes just hours after the Mavericks released forward Brandon Ashley, and two days after Warney re-signed with the Texas Legends, the Mavericks’ G-League affiliate.

“We’re very happy that Jameel is going to be joining the Mavs,” Texas Legends head coach Bob MacKinnon Jr. said. “I thought the Mavs could [sign Warney] and we don’t know how long it’s going to be for, but our deal in the G-League is day-by-day and hopefully we’ll see where it goes from there.”

Warney averaged 8.0 rebounds and 17.3 points per game on .575% shooting in 44 games and 34 starts for the Legends last season, ranking among the team’s leaders for both scoring and rebounding.

The Mavericks have one last remaining two-way contract to give out, but it is not certain if Warney’s contract is a two-way contract. Players under two-way contracts can spend no more than 45 days with their NBA team before returning to spend a bulk of the season in the G-League. Each team is allotted two additional roster spots for two-way contracts, and the Mavericks have already used one to sign former Baylor forward Johnathan Motley.

Warney’s NBA stock rose this summer after a strong performance for Team USA in the FIBA AmeriCup in South America. The 6-foot-7-inch power forward averaged 12.8 points and 8.6 minutes per game, leading the team to a gold medal victory over Argentina and winning the AmeriCup MVP along the way.

This will be Warney’s second stint with the Mavericks, after a brief appearance with the team in last year’s preseason made him the first Stony Brook graduate to play for an NBA team. Warney averaged 4.0 points, 2.7 rebounds and 9.2 minutes per contest in three preseason games last October.

Warney split his time in the 2017 NBA Summer League between the Los Angeles Clippers and the Dallas Mavericks. In four starts for Dallas, he averaged 12 points and 5.2 rebounds in 21.6 minutes per game.

Jameel Warney and the Dallas Mavericks were unable to comment at the time of publication.