Brookfest 2017: DNCE, Joey Bada$$ and Alison Wonderland to perform

DNCE lead guitarist JinJoo Lee (left) and lead vocalist Joe Jonas (right) perform at The Paramount in Huntington on Feb. 8, 2016. ANAMARIA SALOBO/THE STATESMAN
DNCE lead guitarist JinJoo Lee (left) and lead vocalist Joe Jonas (right) perform at The Paramount in Huntington on Feb. 8, 2016. The pop-funk band will perform at Brookfest on April 30. ANAMARIA SALOBO/THE STATESMAN

The Undergraduate Student Government has announced DNCE, Joey Bada$$ and Alison Wonderland as the artists that will perform at Brookfest 2017 on April 30.

“[The] Student Activities Board chose these artists because we’re confident each of them will satisfy a general student audience as well as the specific audiences of their specific genres,” Maximillian Shaps, vice president of communications and public relations for USG, said. “We wanted a diverse group of performers.”

This is the first year that Brookfest will feature three artists and take place in the Student Activities Center parking lot.

“When we polled the student body last semester about what they wanted for Brookfest, we got over 2,000 responses and they overwhelmingly voted in favor of an outdoor venue,” Shaps said, adding that the SAC parking lot was the best option since the Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium will be undergoing renovations.

The Student Activities Board decided to book more artists than usual because it saw the potential of an outdoor venue to feel like a music festival, Shaps said.

USG also plans on having food trucks for the concert, but further information cannot yet be provided, as the organization is still figuring out which food trucks will be coming and how they will work at the event.

Alison Wonderland will perform first, followed by Joey Bada$$ and then DNCE as the headliner. USG will also be picking a student opener based on student votes at the Brookfest 2017 Artist Release Party, which was held Wednesday night in the SAC Auditorium.

DNCE is a funk-pop and dance-rock band with well-known front man Joe Jonas and members Jack Lawless, Cole Whittle and JinJoo Lee. The band won “Best New Artist” at the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards and is widely known for its debut and double-platinum single, “Cake By The Ocean.” The band recently performed at The Paramount in Huntington on Feb. 8.

Joey Bada$$ is a hip-hop artist who released his latest album “B4.DA.$$” in January 2015. His single “Devastated” has received more than 12 million views on YouTube and his upcoming album, “All-Amerikkkan Bada$$,” is set to come out in April.

Alison Wonderland is an Australian producer whose debut EP “Calm Down” received two million streams on her SoundCloud account. She showcases a blend of pop, techno, trap and future beats, according to her website.

Doors for Brookfest will open at 1 p.m. and the show will start at 2 p.m.. According to an email sent out by USG, doors will close at 3 p.m. and no one will be allowed entry from that point on.

Tickets for Section A, which will be closer to the stage, are $25 and tickets for Sections B and C are $15. Students will be able to pick up their tickets at the SAC Ticket Office after filling out the online ticket reservation form that USG will send to all students. Only current Stony Brook undergraduate students may attend the concert and student IDs will be checked at the gate, Shaps said.