Juniors shine in women’s basketball win at Manhattan

Junior guard Aaliyah Worley (No. 21, above) attempts to score in a game against Columbia on Nov. 22 at Island Federal Credit Union Arena. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook women’s basketball team started their four game road trip on a positive note. With help from redshirt junior Elizabeth Manner and junior guard Aaliyah Worley, Stony Brook notched a 55-50 win against Manhattan on the road Saturday night.

Manner posted her first career double-double for the Seawolves, dropping 11 points and 11 rebounds. Meanwhile, Worley posted her season high in points with 13 to couple seven rebounds.

Stony Brook held a 48-41 lead with four minutes to go in the fourth quarter. Manhattan would not fold, as it ignited a 8-0 run with 3:44 in the fourth, culminating in a 49-48 lead with 1:16 remaining.

Worley was able to drive to the basket, draw a foul and bury her two free throws. Stony Brook never relinquished their lead. Senior guard Kori-Bayne Walker was able to make all four of her free throw attempts in the final 1:16 to help secure the game for the Seawolves.

Stony Brook has had some scoring trouble coming out of halftime this season. In their season opener against the Iona Gaels, the Seawolves scored a mere four points in the third quarter. In their previous matchup against Columbia, similar woes prevailed, as the team notched just eight points in the third quarter. Tonight, this third quarter drought would not persist.

Stony Brook was able to hold Manhattan to six points in the third quarter and held them scoreless from the field. Manhattan got its six points from the free throw line that quarter and was unable to net a bucket from the field.

Stony Brook, on the other hand, turned a two-point halftime deficit to an eight point fourth quarter lead as they poured in 16 points during the third quarter.

After being decimated in their home game against Columbia Lions, 41-26, on Tuesday, the Seawolves were able to pull down a season best 46 rebounds, good for a 15 board advantage. They also outscored the Jaspers 24-18 in the paint as well.

Stony Brook will continue its road trip with a game against St. Bonaventure on Wednesday, Nov. 30 at 5:30 p.m.. If Stony Brook is able to emerge victorious from that game, the team would sit at 3-3, and reach a .500 winning percentage for the first time this season.