Back to the Brook 2016: Fetty Wap and RL Grime came Stony Brook’s way

An energetic crowd raved to Fetty Wap and RL Grime at the Undergraduate Student Government’s annual Back to the Brook concert on Sept. 12 in the Island Federal Credit Union Arena.

The line started growing outside of the arena before 6 p.m. Fans of Fetty Wap and RL Grime came early to secure a spot near the stage in hopes of getting up close and personal with the artists.

“With his good eye, I want him to wink at me,” Andrea Mendes, a junior health science major who was at the front of the line, said about Fetty Wap.

The Commas, a student band consisting of Jonathan Bellon, Michael Burns, Joshua Cehulic and Dylan Schreiber, opened the show. The band performed a mix of original songs and covers as the stands began filling up.

After about a thirty minute set and an intermission, RL Grime took the stage.

“I’m expecting a really fun, trappy, highly energetic show,” Lamia Kadiruzzaman, a senior psychology major, said. “We made our bracelets for him.”

Surges of energy rippled through the arena as RL Grime performed remixes of popular songs. The background behind the DJ flickered with images from vivid jungle and space scenes to mesmerizing patterns and optical illusions. As concertgoers danced and moshed, security closely watched the crowd and made students get down from each other’s shoulders.

RL Grime matched the excitement of the crowd, jumping and mouthing the words of the songs at his booth onstage. By the end of his set, the sea of students in the stands was standing up and dancing.

“I’m stuck in the Brookhaven dorms, so it’s usually hard for me to mingle with other students. Tonight I get to feel like a part of campus,” Gaby Alcala, junior English major, said.

The lights came up for an intermission as students awaited Fetty Wap’s performance.

“This is going to be a huge bonding moment for all the students. Everyone singing and screaming together — it’s going to be great,” Kayla Rich, a sophomore social work major, said.

USG members launched rolled up t-shirts into the crowd during the intermission. There was not a free t-shirt table at the concert like there has been in past years.

The lights dimmed once again and the students went wild. Members of Fetty Wap’s team hyped up the crowd with songs like “Don’t Let Me Down” by the Chainsmokers and “All I Do Is Win” by DJ Khaled before Fetty Wap came on stage.

“I’m going to kiss [Fetty Wap]. Wait on it,” Eric Gremli, a sophomore business and health science major, said.

No fewer than six people were on stage at all times either DJing, recording videos, hyping up or just hanging out. Just before 10 o’clock, Fetty Wap went on stage and finally gave the crowd what they wanted.

The artists performed his most popular songs, including “Trap Queen” and  “679.” A hype man grabbed water bottles and threw water onto the jumping crowd as Fetty Wap energetically moved around the stage. After 45 minutes, the artist exited the stage, and Remy Boy Monty continued the performance as students began exiting the arena.

“Considering I’m a fan of neither genre, it was entertaining and I had a lot of fun,” Charles Bendernagel, a senior computer science major, said. “Even if you don’t like the artist or the music you go for the atmosphere, the experience, it was a lot of fun.”

During the show, Fetty Wap announced an upcoming album titled “Project Kidz” and members of his crew gave CDs out to the crowd.

“Back to the Brook was a great indication of how well our elected USG officials can plan and run events for our school,” Jack Rogot, a sophomore biomedical engineering major, said. “RL Grime and Fetty Wap both put on fantastic performances that will be remembered for years.”