Women’s tennis stumbles at Albany after win against Binghamton

ElizabethTsvetkov_PCKrystenMassa
Sophomore Elizabeth Tsvetkov, above, beat Binghamton junior Annie DiMurro, 7-6, 7-5, on Friday before falling to Albany freshman Jovana Kenic, 6-4, 6-2, on Saturday. KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook Women’s Tennis team witnessed the end of its four-match winning streak after splitting its weekend matches at Binghamton and Albany, defeating the former but falling to the latter.

The Great Danes swept the Seawolves in a commanding 4-0 win on Saturday.

Doubles play proved to be fruitless for Stony Brook, which had won the double point in four of the previous five games it has played. Sophomores Elizabeth Tsvetkov and Yana Nikolaeva edged out sophomore Ana Glumac and junior Paulina Torres 7-6 in the first flight of the concentration of play. In No. 2 doubles, junior Nadia Smergut and senior Becky Shtilkind fell to junior Alba Sala and freshman Isidora Pejovic 7-5.  

Junior Chassidy King and freshman Jovana Kenic helped seal the doubles point for the Great Danes, as they defeated senior Louise Badoche and freshman Ana Carrion Rodriguez, 6-1.

The singles matches proved to be just as unsuccessful as doubles for Stony Brook. Nikolaeva fell behind Torres 2-6, but followed it up with a strong 7-5 set in the No. 1 singles match. She led 2-0 until the match ended with a did not finish.

Every singles flight, aside from the did not finishes, ended in a Stony Brook loss. Kenic defeated Tsvetkov 6-4, 6-2 in match No. 2. Glumac beat Badoche 7-5, 6-3 in the fifth flight. Pejovic blew out Carrion Rodriguez 6-2, 6-1 in the sixth singles match.

A did not finish call also affected the fourth singles flight, where Smergut took Sala to three sets. She split the first two sets 2-6, 7-5 but led the third 4-1 until the call was made. The third match also ended in a did not finish as freshman Devanshi Bhimjiyani was down 6-7, 0-3 to Albany junior Dajana Ognjenovic.

The loss came 24 hours after the Seawolves celebrated their fourth win in a row against the Bearcats as they handedly won 6-1 on Friday.

The pairs of Tsvetkov and Nikolaeva and Smergut and Shtilkind clinched the doubles point for Stony Brook. The junior duo defeated Binghamton’s senior twosome of Shea Brodsky and Alexis Tashiro 7-6 in the first doubles match. Smergut and Shtilkind beat junior Annie DiMuro and senior Sara Kohtz 6-2 in the second flight.

It was not a clean sweep, however, as Badoche and Carrion Rodriguez fell to senior Agatha Ambrozy and sophomore Olga Ostrovetsky 6-4.

Singles play was just as dominant as doubles. In the first flight, Nikolaeva beat Kohtz 6-2, 6-2. Her partner, Tsvetkov, defeated DiMuro, 7-6, 7-5, at No. 2 singles.

Bhimjiyani blew out Torres 6-2, 6-3 in No. 3 singles. In the fourth flight, Smergut got the better of Ambrozy as she won 6-2, 6-4. Badoche won the final point for the Seawolves as she defeated Tashiro in a heated battle. She took the fifth match, 2-6, 7-5, 7-5.

Binghamton’s sole singles point came No. 6 singles as Ostrovetsky defeated Shtilkind, 8-5.

Up next for the Seawolves are two final home games before the America East Championships. Stony Brook takes on conference rival Hartford on April 15 and ends the season against St. John’s on April 16.