Stony Brook hires Jeff Boals as new Men’s Basketball head coach

Stony Brook Athletics confirmed on Friday that Director of Athletics Shawn Heilbron reached an agreement to hire former Ohio State assistant coach Jeff Boals as the new head coach of the Men’s Basketball team.

The department said that it will officially announce the hire on Saturday before holding an introductory press conference on Monday morning.

Boals has been an assistant under Thad Matta at Ohio State for the last seven seasons, during which the team won 193 games, three Big Ten regular-season titles and reached the NCAA Tournament in six of the seven campaigns.

Before his stint in Columbus, Boals was on the Akron Men’s Basketball staff for three seasons, spending his final campaign there as the squad’s associate head coach. Boals’ other coaching stops include Robert Morris, Division II’s University of Charleston and Marshall.

Stony Brook’s search to fill its vacancy began when Steve Pikiell, who held the position since 2005, left to become the Rutgers Men’s Basketball head coach late last month. Pikiell amassed six 20-win seasons during his time on Long Island, and led the Seawolves to their first-ever NCAA Tournament berth this year.

Boals will have to bring his own set of coaches to Stony Brook, as Seawolves associate head coach Jay Young, assistant coach Dan Rickard and Director of Basketball Operations Bryan Dougher all will join Pikiell at Rutgers. Former Stony Brook Assistant Athletics Director for Athletic Performance David VanDyke has also been hired by Rutgers in a similar role as the Assistant Athletics Director-Strength and Conditioning.

FEATURED IMAGE CREDIT: OHIO STATE ATHLETICS