Stony Brook cruises at home against Iona, 15-4

Dylan Resk_PCKrystenMassa
Freshman designated hitter Dylan Resk (No. 32, above) had two runs batted in during the Stony Brook Baseball team’s 15-4 win over Iona on Tuesday. KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN

It was a cold, windy Tuesday at Joe Nathan Field as the Stony Brook Baseball team took the field. Temperatures were in the mid-thirties with high wind speeds throughout the game.

“We’re both playing in the same conditions,” head coach Matt Senk said. “The guys did a good job of focusing and taking care of business.”

Despite the conditions, the Seawolves showed just how tough they are, as they pushed through the cold temperatures to win 15-4. Stony Brook improved its record to 4-1 early in America East Conference play in addition to remaining undefeated at home with an 8-0 record.

“It’s who mentally is tough enough to get through the cold,” Senk said.

For the first time in his young collegiate career, freshman designated hitter Dylan Resk hit in the cleanup spot of Stony Brook’s lineup. The cleanup spot is the fourth spot in the lineup, which is typically reserved for a team’s top power hitter or run producer. Resk did not disappoint by reaching base in all four of his plate appearances, which included a big opposite field two-run double in the fifth inning.

“It was a bit nerve-wracking,” Resk said. “It gives me a lot of confidence coming in as a freshman, and being a regular starter.”

Through three and a half innings the Gaels managed to stay within one of the Seawolves. After collecting the game-winning hit to top off Saturday’s doubleheader against Maine, junior shortstop Jeremy Giles singled to lead off the bottom of the fourth to begin what would become a seven-run inning for Stony Brook.

Junior catcher David Real continued his hot hitting in Tuesday’s matchup, managing two hits and a double that scored a run in the fourth inning. Real has hit .454 in the Seawolves’ last three games.

Sophomore left fielder Andruw Gazzola showed why he is one of the top contact hitters in the America East with three hits on Tuesday improving his batting average to .356.

Freshman pitcher Bret Clarke started the game and pitched well in two innings allowing just one hit and no runs while striking out three. Despite starting the game well, Senk had predetermined that Clarke would not pitch much in order to give some of his other pitchers an opportunity to get work in.

Stony Brook will suit up again tomorrow at Joe Nathan Field when it hosts Manhattan at 3:30 p.m..