Men’s Tennis extends its winning streak to three

KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN
Freshman Samuel Taieb, above, along with senior Jose Morales won their doubles match against Sacred Heart on Saturday. KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook Men’s Tennis team tacked on another win to its two-game winning streak after defeating Sacred Heart on the road 6-1 on Saturday.

The Seawolves were dominant in both singles and doubles play. Stony Brook only lost one game in each discipline.

Doubles play was not a challenge for head coach Gary Glassman’s squad. In the top doubles flight, senior Jose Morales and freshman Samuel Taieb defeated Sacred Heart’s senior duo of Matt Dean and Brian Power 7-5. The No. 2 match was a 6-4 win for the junior pair of Raphael Termat and Kenzo Kauffmann as they took down sophomores Cory Seltman and Mathieu Pilote-Schraenen.

Although they did go on to win the doubles point, the Seawolves could not sweep all three matches. Juniors Tyler Hoffman and Hari Rohan fell to freshman Derek Chapman and sophomore Karan Narula 6-4 at third doubles.

Singles play was one-sided, with Stony Brook winning all but one match. In the top singles flight, Termat took on Power and defeated him 6-3, 7-6. The second singles slot was a rematch of players who competed against each other in doubles as Morales defeated Dean 7-5, 6-1. Morales’s doubles partner, Taieb, came away with a 7-6, 6-1 win in his third singles match, defeating Chapman.

Hoffman faced off against Narula for the second time Saturday and defeated him at fourth singles, 6-4, 6-4. Senior Vinicius Degani lost his first match of the year, dropping his fifth singles contest to Pilote-Schraenen 4-6, 6-2, 7-5. However, the Seawolves were able to take match No. 6 as Kauffmann defeated Seltman in their second meeting on the day with a 6-2, 6-2 blowout.

Stony Brook will look to protect its season-high three-game winning streak as the team travel to Queens to take on St. John’s on April 6. The Seawolves then return to Stony Brook to finish their regular season at home with matches against Wagner on April 12, Hartford on April 15 and Fairleigh Dickinson on April 16.