Stony Brook Track and Field wins outdoor season-opening home meet

High Jump_PCKrystenMassa
Junior Dana Husband (above) won the high jump on Thursday afternoon at the Stony Brook Quad Meet by clearing a height of five feet, five inches. Husband and the Seawolves won their season-opener. KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN

With warmer days replacing class cancellations in the face of snowstorms, spring is here and spring sports are in full swing. On Thursday, the Stony Brook Track & Field team was able to take its meet outside for the first time.

Head coach Andrew Ronan’s team outperformed its competitors in Columbia, La Salle and Providence in both the men’s and women’s field during the Stony Brook Quad Meet.

The men took down Columbia, 90-19; La Salle, 88-30; and Providence, 70-39, while the women downed Columbia, 102-28; La Salle, 101-24; and Providence, 110-16.

The Seawolves won a number of group events events on Thursday, including both men and women freshmen groups winning their respective 4×100-meter relay races.

The freshman quartet of Shane Harris, Edison Estephane, Bradley Pierre and Abass Braimah won the men’s race in 43.78 seconds.

Meanwhile, the team of freshman Sarah Militano, sophomore Kaylyn Gordon, freshman Nikki Fogarty and freshman Chinque Thompson won the women’s 4×100-meter relay in 47.27 seconds.

The Seawolves also won the women’s 4×800-meter relay race. Sophomore Jane Clark, junior Christine Eisenberg, senior Kate Pouder and junior Maggie Fleming won the event in 9:38.59.

Several runners also won their individual events as well. Gordon came in first for the women’s 100-meter dash in 12.16 seconds. Pouder crossed the line first in the women’s 1,500-meter in 4:41.34. Eisenberg captured the women’s 2,000-meter steeplechase in 7:02.62.

Junior Jarrett Button came in first for the men’s 400-meter in 51.13. Freshman Dara Smith took the women’s 400-meter hurdles in 1:05.06. Sophomore Darian Sorouri won the men’s 2,000-meter steeplechase in 6:16.58.

Along with track, Stony Brook won several field events as well.

Sophomore Jonathan Stanco took the men’s shot put with a mark of 43-feet-2.25-inches. Sophomore Allison Ross won the women’s shot put with a toss of 34-feet-6.75-inches and discus at 117-feet-4.0-inches. Senior Allyson Laporte captured the women’s javelin with a throw of 125-feet-1.0-inches. Freshman Nailah Jones won the women’s long jump ­— an event that freshman volleyball standout McKyla Brooks also participated in — by leaping 16-feet-7.25-inches. Junior Dana Husband took the women’s high jump with a height of 5-feet-5.0-inches.

After a successful meet, the Seawolves will have about a week off before returning to action. They will head to Williamsburg, Virginia on April 1 for the first day of the two-day event at the Colonial Relays.