Warney, Anyagaligbo honored with America East awards

Stony Brook Men's Basketball senior forward Jameel Warney, above, earned his 3rd Player of the Year award. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON/THE STATESMAN
Stony Brook Men’s Basketball senior forward Jameel Warney, above, has earned his third America East Player of the Year award in a row. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Men’s Basketball senior forward Jameel Warney took home his third straight America East Player of the Year award as the conference’s yearly awards were announced on Feb. 29.

Warney joins former Vermont forward Taylor Coppenrath and former Northeastern and Boston Celtics forward Reggie Lewis as one of only three players in America East history to win three Player of the Year awards. Warney led qualified America East players with 18.9 points per game and 10.6 rebounds per game this season.

Warney’s efforts also earned him his second consecutive Defensive Player of the Year award. He blocked 3.1 shots per game, good enough to lead the conference, as he anchored the conference’s top-ranked defense. The Seawolves allowed 63.1 points per game, making them 13th-best in the NCAA.

Head coach Steve Pikiell also made history on Monday afternoon when it was announced that he won his fourth Coach of the Year award. Pikiell is now tied with New Hampshire head coach Bill Herrion with his fourth honor, as the two share an America East record.

After averaging a career-high 14.6 points per game, senior guard Carson Puriefoy was named to first team All-America East for the second straight year. Puriefoy was in the conference’s top-10 in steals per game, assists per game and three-point percentage.

Senior forward Rayshaun McGrew made the second team All-America East after averaging a career-best 11.3 points per game. The Chicago native also joined Warney and junior Ahmad Walker on the all-defensive team.

Sophomore guard Bryan Sekunda earned All-Academic honors.

For the Stony Brook Women’s Basketball team, freshman forward Ogechi Anyagaligbo won the America East Rookie of the Year award on Friday night.

Stony Brook Women's Basketball freshman forward Ogechi Anyagaligbo led all players with 11 rebounds in Saturday's victory against Vermont. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON/THE STATESMAN
Stony Brook Women’s Basketball freshman forward Ogechi Anyagaligbo (No.22, above) won this year’s America East Rookie of the Year award. Anyagaligbo also won nine Rookie of the Week honors, the second-highest total in conference history. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON/THE STATESMAN

The Miami native earned nine Rookie of the Week honors, the second-highest total in conference history. She led the conference with 9.1 rebounds per game and led all freshman with 10.1 points per game.

Senior forward Brittany Snow earned second team All-America East honors after leading the Seawolves with 14.6 points per game. She ranked top-10 in the conference in scoring and rebounding, as she averaged 6.6 rebounds per game.

Not only was Snow recognized for her play on the court, but her academic achievements were honored as well. She was named to her third All-Academic team. Snow was also one of eight national winners of the Haier Achievement Award.

Freshman guard Davion Wingate was named to the All-Rookie team, along with Anyagaligbo.