Baseball swept in road series against Baylor

KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN
Senior outfielder Jack Parenty (No. 3, above) went 6-for-12 with 4 RBIs in the series against the Bears. KRYSTEN MASSA/THE STATESMAN

After opening the 2016 season  1-2, Stony Brook Baseball looked for a solid series to get back on track in Waco, Texas, where the Seawolves played against Baylor in a three-game series.

But the weekend did not go as hoped, as the Bears beat the Seawolves handily on both Friday and Saturday, losing 16-2 and 20-4 respectively. Baylor completed the sweep with a closer 6-5 victory on Sunday.

The Bears did their damage early and often in the first inning in Friday’s matchup, scoring six runs off of five hits and a walk off of senior pitcher Tyler Honahan. Honahan only lasted 1.2 innings, allowing eight runs on seven hits, five walks and two strikeouts.

It was not until the top of the seventh inning that the Seawolves got on the board, scoring on a sacrifice fly from senior outfielder Jack Parenty and a bases-loaded walk which brought home sophomore infielder Bobby Honeyman.

Those were the only two runs for the Seawolves the entire game, cutting the Bears’ blowout margin to 15-2 after the seventh inning. Baylor added one more run in the eighth inning to take a 16-2 lead.

Baylor came out with an almost-identical start in Saturday’s game. The Bears started off the game with a two-run home run in the bottom of the first inning and got their offense rolling. By the fourth inning, Baylor had already scored 11 runs and Stony Brook was still looking for a run.

Junior pitcher Cameron Stone gave up four earned runs in three innings and senior pitcher Tim Knesnik gave up four earned runs on six hits in relief.

Stony Brook scored three runs in the fifth, thanks to an RBI single from Parenty and a two-RBI single from sophomore catcher Drew Bene.

After the fifth, Stony Brook was only able to muster one more run scored while giving up nine more runs throughout the last five innings.

Sunday was the most competitive game of the weekend. After Baylor mounted an early advantage with a 5-1 lead, Stony Brook used a four-run seventh inning to tie the game 5-5 on a Parenty two-RBI triple.

Baylor senior infielder West Tunnell gave the Bears the lead in the bottom of the eighth inning with a pinch-hit, solo home run.

Stony Brook was unable to score in the ninth inning, as Baylor won the game.

Parenty had a tremendous series for the Seawolves. Currently on a six-game hitting streak, Parenty went 6-for-12 with four RBIs against the Bears in this series.

The Seawolves will come home for a few days of rest before taking on NYIT for the Seawolves’ home opener on Wednesday at 3 p.m.