Tennis sweeps weekend matchups against Lehigh and LIU Brooklyn

Junior Raphael Termat and sophomore Elizabeth Tsvetkov continued their torrid 2015-16 seasons on Friday afternoon, leading Stony Brook Men’s and Women’s Tennis to road victories over Lehigh. The Seawolves’ men beat the Mountain Hawks 4-3 while the women took home their match with a convincing 6-1 win.

Termat cruised over Lehigh senior Jeremy Kochman in the No. 1 singles match, winning 6-0, 6-3. The straight-set victory pushed the Frenchman’s record to 8-1 in singles this season.

Termat also contributed to the effort in doubles play. Along with junior Kenzo Kauffman, he won his doubles set by a score of 6-4 to help his team in the afternoon’s doubles point — something that proved imperative in a match decided by one.

Freshman Samuel Taieb and junior Tyler Hoffman each won their singles match for the Seawolves. Taieb won the No. 2 match, which proved to be the clincher, by a score of 6-3, 2-6, 6-4. Hoffman, playing the No. 4 singles match, won his match 6-2, 6-3.

It was a rough day for senior Jose Morales, who fell in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, in the No. 3 singles match to lose just his second singles match of the season.

Morales, with Taieb, also lost in the top flight of doubles, 7-6 (6).

On the women’s side, Tsvetkov beat sophomore Christina Auyeung, 6-2, 7-6 (6) in the No. 1 singles match as the Seawolves dominated the Mountain Hawks.

Freshman Devanshi Bhimjiyani clinched the Stony Brook victory in her second-flight match, winning 6-0, 4-6, 6-1, in one of three 3-set victories for the team. Junior Nadia Smergut, senior Louise Badoche and freshman Ana Carrion Rodriguez all added match wins in the effort.

Smergut and freshman Anne-Kathrin Hierl won the No. 1 doubles match, 6-4, helping the team win the doubles point.

On Saturday, the women added another victory, defeating LIU Brooklyn, 6-1, at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, New York.

Tsvetkov led the way again for the Seawolves, winning her No. 1 singles match, 6-1, 6-4, as she improved to 12-1 on the season.

Bhimjiyani, Hierl and senior Becky Shtilkind all claimed victory in the effort, with the only loss coming from Rodriguez. The women swept the three doubles matches to take the doubles point.

The next action for head coach Gary Glassman’s squad will be on Friday, when the men’s tennis team will face Queens College in a road dual match at 12 p.m..

FEATURED IMAGE CREDIT: Vladsinger