Hulu goes back in time with “11.22.63″

Based off Stephen King’s novel 11/22/63, Hulu’s latest series blends time travel and conspiracy theories surrounding the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. The eight-part thriller, set to premiere Feb. 15, follows a schoolteacher who is presented with the opportunity to travel back in time to stop the Kennedy assassination. As the teacher tries to accomplish his mission, he finds himself becoming attached to the new life he is making in the past.

“11.22.63” features James Franco in the leading role, with prominent actors Chris Cooper, Sarah Gadon and Josh Duhamel taking on supporting parts. The show is helmed by J.J. Abrams and Stephen King, who serve as executive producers.

J.J. Abrams, who directed the most recent “Star Wars” film, has been developing the series since 2013. Author Stephen King is no newcomer to working on television, as his works have been adapted into dozens of popular films and television series. In fact, CBS’s adaptation of King’s “Under the Dome” ended in 2015 after three seasons. “11.22.63” could fill the eerie and suspenseful niche that is characteristic of Stephen King adaptations. With its talented cast and creators, “11.22.63” could become Hulu’s biggest hit, allowing the site to compete with Netflix and Amazon on a new level.

Although Hulu has created many shows since 2007, the streaming service has yet to develop a dramatic series that can define their brand, like Netflix’s “House of Cards” or HBO’s “Game of Thrones.” In fact, nearly all of its original programs have been comedies, and none of them have reached a level of popularity or critical acclaim to cement Hulu as one of the top players in creating online content. “11.22.63” appears to be addressing this concern by signaling a shift in Hulu’s original programming. Hulu has three more high-profile dramas lined up after “11.22.63,” including “Chance,” which will star “House” actor Hugh Laurie.

While “11.22.63” looks to the past, its level of success will have a monumental impact on Hulu’s future.

Featured image credit: skeeze/pixabay